Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Monkey Education

I am presently reading a slightly volatile article from a back-issue of Harper's Magazine about the dehumanization of education, that is, shifting the focus from the humanities and arts to math and science. Which is of course harrowing.

College was simply a torture to me because aside from the fact that I was forced to take up nursing, I had to bear the ugly truth that the university where I attended had slashed of it Introduction to Humanities subject and replaced it with the dire and yawn-producing subjects like Science, Technology and Society, much worse are the "religious studies", which I know would get to the nerves of any atheist and agnostic. Well, I will tackle this religion stuff later, ok?

The thing is that schools right now are aiming to the churn their students to be proficient in math and science. This is is when you look at school programs. Math and science is the way to go, but where are the music lessons? The humanities? I don't have anything with math and science but the thing is too much focus on these subjects would rather create robots than human beings that can appreciate the world around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment